Errol is getting his skin. I bought a supple, thin lime green leather at Tandy for his belly and underlayers and his face. I am totally in love with his face! Because of all the nooks and crannies I had to apply the leather in sections so he appears to have jowls and smile wrinkles around his eyes and other litte serendipitous surprises I didn't plan for. The process has been like riding a bike - though I've not created in a long time it's all coming back naturally flowing out of me. I'm so excited about the process and the upcoming convention where I can share him with others who will recognize him.
Unfortunately dragons can be harsh beasts and I shan't make one this size again. The armature wire was painful to bend for my arthritic hands and still his hind legs are not as strong as I'd like them to be. So he won't be begging at someone's lap as much as I hoped. C'est la vie. I used Apoxie Sculpt over armature wire for the claws and either it was old or my hands are (or both) because it was also a challenge to work with and I alwasy thought it to be easy in the past. Stretching and pulling the leather into a snug position takes more effort than I planned as well.
But maybe this is like child birth. You forget the pain when you finally hold your precious baby in your arms. With a face like this one that's a good posibility... as long as I won't need my thumbs. LOL!